Lactose intolerance is a digestive disorder caused by the inability to digest lactose, the main carbohydrate in dairy products. It can cause various symptoms, including bloating, diarrhea and abdominal cramps. People with lactose intolerance don’t make enough of the enzyme lactase, which is needed to digest lactose.
Dr. Yogesh Jadhav Created on 31st Dec, 20
Lactose Intolerance and How Homeopathy can Help
Lactose intolerance is difficulty in digesting lactose (natural principal sugar) in dairy products because of the lack of an enzyme known as lactase. This enzyme is created in your small intestine. The lactase’s function is to break down the lactose so that it becomes absorbable in your body.
The lactase present in your body breakdowns the lactose into two sugars known as glucose and galactose. After that, it is absorbed in the bloodstream through the lines of your intestine. In a lactose-intolerant individual, instead of getting digested in the small intestine, lactose goes to the large intestine, and there it gets fermented.
You can have symptoms like flatulence, vomiting, nausea, diarrhoea, rumbling, gurgling in the abdomen, and stomach pain. It also causes cramps in your abdomen after thirty minutes or two hours of consuming dairy products.
Lactose Intolerance and Milk Allergy
Lactose intolerance is commonly mistaken as a milk allergy. Milk allergy begins in infancy, where the digestive system is still developing and not developed enough to digest such proteins, but it is prevalent among all age groups. The symptoms can be a bit close to lactose intolerance, as in both the conditions, gastrointestinal tract symptoms are mostly found. However, in milk allergy, besides gastrointestinal symptoms, you can have other symptoms as well. It includes hives, wheezing, itchy rash, cough, and anaphylaxis.
Treatment for Lactose Intolerance
In the conventional line of treatment, there are no particular medicines or treatment for such a condition. However, you can manage it with the following measures:
Avoid dairy products completely
Follow a low-lactose diet
Use lactose-free products
Have lactase supplements
Homoeopathic Treatment for Lactose Intolerance
Homoeopathic medicines help you to stimulate your body’s innate healing capabilities. It also enhances your body’s blood circulation and activates metabolism. In homoeopathy, there are more than 60 remedies for lactose intolerance. These remedies are given based on a holistic approach. A few of them are as follows:
Aethusa cranium is a primary remedy for lactose intolerance in children. It is provided in cases related to the congenital absence of lactase. If the child vomits the milk after it is swallowed and vomit is like a curd, this medicine is useful. The remedy is beneficial in treating children who complain of tenesmus and colic with drowsiness and great prostration. An upset stomach connects to the brain and nervous system. It leads to anguish and makes the children more cranky and irritable.
Lac-Defloratum is useful when provided you suffer from constipation after consuming dairy products. This remedy is also useful when your stool is large, hard, and the need to strain leads to pain and ends up lacerating the anus. Also, it is an excellent remedy for diseases resulting because of faulty nutrition.
Magnesia muriaticum is one of the best remedies for lactose intolerance. It is useful when you cannot digest the milk and suffer from pain and gas. This remedy is also useful for gastric complaints, like eructation or belching, which taste like rotten eggs after drinking milk. A homoeopathic specialist may also recommend this remedy if you suffer from continuous white saliva in the mouth.
- So, you can use these homoeopathic remedies for the treatment of lactose intolerance. There are many other remedies, as well. Once you speak with a professional homoeopath, and, based on history, your doctor will prepare a proper treatment for you.
- Mothers also question if their child is intolerant to lactose and if there is any method to boost calcium levels without dairy? The answer is yes! Calcium is found in various other foods apart from milk and milk products.
- Calcium plays a significant role in keeping good bone health, heart function, and nerve transmission, so it is required to get calcium regularly for maintaining a healthy body.
- If you have intolerance towards lactose or are allergic to dairy, you should closely monitor your calcium levels. Avoid consuming milk, ice-cream, cheese, chocolate, bread, ketchup, and mayonnaise.
- If you or your child suffers from lactose intolerance, you can count on homoeopathy treatment without a second thought.